Saturday, January 14, 2012

How to automatically enable the lock screen when out, remove it when at home

Look, I know I am meant to keep a password on my mobile but I just can’t be bothered with entering a password every time I want to unlock it when I only need the password security when I am out and about.  I have just found an app which provides an ingenious solution of getting rid of the lock screen when you are home.
Unlock With Wifi bypasses the lock screen when you are connecting to your home wifi network. When you set up the app you have to select the Wifi networks you want to include. Once this done, the app will work automatically.
The app is free but there is also a premium app which costs $3.99 (£2.46). The premium app adds the ability to:
  • Turn off WiFi when you leave home
  • Turn on GPS when you leave home
  • Turn off GPS when you get home
Although these features are nice to have, the premium app is not essential as it does not add any other features to the bypassing of the lock screen feature. Use the free app and if you use the app regularly, buy the app to support the developer.
httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urA48TfGuKo&feature=player_embedded

Pros

  • Works well – In my testing, the app worked very well at getting rid of the lock screen at home and keeping the lock screen on elsewhere.
  • Very easy to setup – It only takes a minute to setup the app and is very simple to do.

Cons

  • Only works when connected to wifi – If you are not connected to a wifi network at home and either have no connection or a 3G connection, the app will not work. You can obviously solve this problem by always having wifi on at home, but I tend to use 3G at home because my HTC Android phone does not connect very well to my wifi network.

Conclusion

There you go, a simple application that lets you save time without sacrificing your security. Do you know of any other ways to protect your Android device without sacrificing convenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment