Wednesday, January 11, 2012

How to text and not walk into a lamp post

Problem

I take the train most days of the week. and I have to walk 20 minutes to get to the train station. I almost always take my Android with me and I try to catch up with emails, SMS etc. The problem? I’m walking so I’m swerving on a narrow path and I could easily walk into a lamp post or something like that.

Solution

Walk and Text is a paid app which displays a video feed from your camera with a clear keyboard. The idea is that you point your phone to where you are walking and then text on the keyboard. You will be able to see what’s coming up and still be as productive.


The app immediately starts working when you open it up. You type what you have to say and then you click the icon in the bottom right corner. You will then be given the choice of which app you share the text with. This could be SMS, Facebook, Gmail or other apps you have installed such as an instant messaging app. The app gives you many options such as the text colour, if you use the virtual keyboard or a physical keyboard if you have one and if you want the video feed or not. The app even has an icon for the flash light so you can even text and walk in the dark.
httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiTFFOqwNXQ&feature=player_embedded

Pros

  • Effective – I have used the app and found that it did its job. The app lets you text and see where you are going.
  • LED Torch – If you walking in low light (dark conditions) then the LED torch option will let you text and walk. (You have to have a led light on the back of your phone)
  • Other app options – The app lets you send the message with many apps so it can be used for more than SMS.

Cons

  • No free version – There is no free or even trial version so you will be limited to the 15 minute refund time to test the app.
  • App does not show live video feed when choosing where to send – When you have written you text you have to choose which app you want to send it with. These options are not transparent so you will only be able to see where you are going when you are writing the text.

Conclusion

If you text while walking then I would recommend this app. It is very well designed and easy to use. I like how it gives you the option of which app you use so you can do more than send a SMS. I also love the LED torch feature and I am sure that will come in handy. Its a shame that there is not a free version available to see if you like the app but the chances are that you will probably like it anyway. At the very least, this app could save you from walking into a lamp post or tree. This app could even save your life, so I would say its worth the $1.52 ( £0.95).
Price: $1.52 (£0.95)

Either click the image on the left or scan the image with Barcode Scanner on your Android.

No comments:

Post a Comment