Thursday, January 12, 2012

Listen to your RSS feeds like a podcast

Google Reader, I love it! I read hundreds of articles a day and don’t see myself slowing down any soon. Now, with the Web Talks app I can listen to my feeds rather than having to read them. Why would I want to do this? Well, I wouldn’t want to listen to them all the time but when I can’t read such as when I’m walking then Web Talks will be very useful. The app will also be very useful when I’m feeling lazy and can’t be bothered to read.
So we’ve established that Web Talks lets you listen to your feeds, but how does it work? When you open up the app for the first time you have to log in to your Google Reader account. This is extremely easy because the app will take your Google login from your mobile, all you have to do is accept the permissions.
Once you have logged into your account, press the upload all button and go to the Manage subscriptions section. Tick the feeds you want to include and those feeds will now be included in the app. All you need to do now is click the feed you want to listen to and it will be played.

 

Pros

  • Very useful – Web Talks is a very useful app that will help you keep
  • No glitches – The app does its job without crashing

Cons

  • The robotic Google voice - The app uses Google text to speech and that only means one thing, a very robotic voice. You can live with the voice but it would be much nicer if the voice sounded more human and said all words correctly.
  • Fiddly interface – The buttons are a bit small and fiddly for my liking. Don’t worry though, this isn’t a deal breaker.

Conclusion

Web Talks is a great app that lets you listen to your feeds rather than having to read them all the time. The app isn’t cheap at $2.81 so only buy this app if you think you will get good use out of it. If you read lots of articles in your feed reader and fancy the idea of listening to them then I would recommend this app, just expect to put up with a robotic voice.
Price: $2.81 (£1.74)

Either click the image on the left or scan the image with Barcode Scanner on your Android.

No comments:

Post a Comment