Thursday, January 12, 2012

Add faster playback to your podcast player

Problem

I  love podcasts! In fact, I am listening to one right now. They are great to listen to while you are travelling or waiting around. Unfotunately, I love podcasts too much. If I was to listen to podcasts at normal speed then I would spend hours every day listening to them. That’s why I increase the playback speed. I get through podcasts faster and still can understand them very clearly.
I covered Astro player a while back which was the only solution for speeding playback of podcasts on Android. It did the trick but was very buggy. Fast forward a couple of months and Presto is released. Presto isn’t actually an app, they call themselves a sound library. You download Presto and variable playback speed will be added to the following podcast apps:
  • BeyondPod Beta (not on Android Market)
  • DoggCatcher
  • PodTrapper
More apps are likely to support Presto in the future. For now, I would recommend DoggCatcher if you can spare the hefty $6.99.
I have been using Presto since it was implemented into DoggCatcher and I have to say, it works very well. I have experienced no hiccups with the fast playback. Smooth normal sounding audio, just faster.


Pros

  • Mutliple podcast player support – The sound library supports three podcast players with more to come. This means that you don’t have to settle with one podcast player to get fast playback.
  • Works flawlessly – Unlike the other method of fast playback on Android, Presto works flawlessy. The podcast will play faster at the normal pitch without any glitches.

Cons

  • No free podcast players support it – At the moment there are no free apps that support Presto, that may change in the future though.
  • Price – Presto costs $3.99 (£2.42) and this is on top of the podcast player cost of around $6.99 (£4.23).

Conclusion

If you like to play podcasts at a faster speed then this is the app, ummm sound library for you. It may a bit pricey but if you like fast playback as much as I do, the price is worth it.

Either click the image on the left or scan the image with Barcode Scanner on your Android.

No comments:

Post a Comment